Make sure you sign up to events
Please make sure you set your status to upcoming events. This makes the missions more enjoyable and helps the mission makers and admins immensely!

Good ol' LAxemann Suppress

8 replies
Votes:
+201
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Leadership Award
The Ravens Flame Award
One Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825174634

Just a bit curious, I remember this being a pretty cool part of our mod pack when I first joined TFRF, and helped encourage us to take incoming fire seriously, seeking cover, suppressing the enemy, bounding to advance etc.... Is there a reason it isn't part of our mod collection any more?

I rather liked the way it forced you to really respect the enemy's ability to shoot back.
Posted Jun 18, 18 · OP
List
Undo
NOID atagtagtagtag
Votes:
+324
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Admins
Basic Trainer
Leadership Award
Two Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
It was removed when we removed a lot of third party mods from our core pack.
I also very much liked this mod.
Posted Jun 18, 18
Votes:
+100
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
One Year Veteran
was there any other reason. it could be added back if people want it back. "Also, the mod is completely client-side but can be forced from the server." if you want to experience it you could in theory add it on your side.
Posted Jun 18, 18 · Last edited Jun 18, 18
Votes:
+201
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Leadership Award
The Ravens Flame Award
One Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
Was having a chat with a few people about some of the issues we hit in missions, and one that came up was that we don't tend to use tactics like bounding, suppression, or support-by-fire much. We even get orders from time to time to just charge on in.

In thinking about this, I remembered the suppression mod we used to have, which makes incoming fire feel much more dangerous - and by doing so, significantly boosts the perceived value of tactics that limit exposure to enemy fire, and reduce the ability of the enemy to produce accurate fire while we close with them. The concept of fire superiority starts to matter - if the enemy is suppressing us effectively, then we're not suppressing them - and so promotes the establishment of a base of fire to suppress the enemy and allow other elements to close and engage them. This seems a more elegant approach to promoting better tactical choices, rather than some kind of heavy-handed mandate or time-consuming retraining etc....

All this mod does is make it really really unpleasant to be shot at (and especially, to be shot at accurately), with a temporary reduction in vision and accuracy. Once in good cover, or out of the line of fire, the effect quickly fades. Back when I joined, I found that it was excellent encouragement to seek effective cover quickly when engaged, and to use tactics other than frontal charges - and felt a completely naturalistic part of the battlefield.
Posted Jun 19, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 19, 18
Agree
List
Undo
Votes:
+100
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
One Year Veteran
to be honest I think it was around when i first joined as well, I seem to remember my screen getting blurry and brighter when under fire from an AR. also the tactics are tought, its just who ever is in charge choose not to use them. im currently in the process of re-training some current leader positions, also anyone who is interested in FTL ill be hosting leadership training very soon.
Posted Jun 19, 18 · Last edited Jun 19, 18
Votes:
+201
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Leadership Award
The Ravens Flame Award
One Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
Hah, wow, it's tiny - only 6.5 kB. I'll do some tests, see if there's any obvious clashes with our modset. If it looks good, I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

Initial tests look good. If you take a few shots, duck into cover, displace a bit, then pop up to resume firing, the effects are noticeable but not significant. If, however, you get heavily engaged by a fireteam or enemy MG, you'll really notice unless you get in cover fast - really heavy suppression can take about 5 seconds of being out of the line of fire to recover to normal. At the maximum degree of the effect (i.e. under heavy fire), you can still see well enough to run for cover, but not well enough to shoot back at anything other than the vague direction of the incoming fire.

It's also possible to get pinned down - if you're behind some cover but there's still bullets flying and impacting all around you, the suppresssion will remain. In that case, you need to either displace away from the fire, or get relieved by other forces distracting/suppressing/destroying the source of that fire. This effect alone is likely to naturally prompt us to manoeuvre and support each other better, with e.g. a fireteam radioing that they are pinned down by heavy fire, and command directing another element to move to relieve them by flanking the enemy, thus freeing up the pinned fireteam to resume their attack.
Posted Jun 19, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+201
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Leadership Award
The Ravens Flame Award
One Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
I've been using Suppress in every mission since this post, and have hit no issues or clashes with other mods. It's actually been very helpful in assessing how much danger one is in from distant gunshots, as it can be difficult otherwise to tell how close the bullets are passing by.

As well, of course, as its more obvious function of reminding me not to recklessly charge around in a firefight, but to seek cover ASAP. It doesn't seem to disable the bullet magnet in my helmet, however.
Posted Sep 3, 18 · OP · Last edited Sep 3, 18
Agree
Funny
List
Undo
Sol
Votes:
+3
Hmmm, i can see this as an effective mod however my question is in regards to AI. Doing these tactics is effective in situations however the suppression mod wont have any effect on AI and make suppressing them really pointless. I mean when i have taken MG roles its generally been fire where you have last seen an enemy in hopes they step out basically pre-firing targets. Our reactions taken due to incoming fire and the visual effect will be good for responses and forcing us to use certain tactics but i feel like it will only further tip the AI difficulty in their favour, we all know they have wall hacks and aim bots.

If however the mod does affect AI behaviour in some way shape or form i am 100% for the mod. Tactics that work and have an immediate reward, eg shooting bullets at nothing yet that AI doesn't moves is rewarding. Will change how we play and make things a little slower and more calculated because there is a cause and effect. Just my thoughts on the topic, not a fan of putting one arm behind my back for no reason is all.
Posted Sep 14, 18 · Last edited Sep 14, 18
Votes:
+201
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Leadership Award
The Ravens Flame Award
One Year Veteran
Mission/Mod Maker
The mod does not affect AI. However, AI are easy to suppress. 2 shots per second within a meter of them, and you can walk to within 10-20m of them before they can hit you. I've made more detailed notes on my experiments with AI suppression in the Tactics forum, I think.

Edit: and here's the link https://taskforceravenfire.enjin.com/forum/m/36814888/viewthread/32006954-suppressing-ai
Posted Sep 14, 18 · OP · Last edited Sep 14, 18
Agree
List
Undo
NoticeNotices